Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Red Rover, Red Rover...Let Cisplatin Come Over!



Hi everyone,

Here I am in my pimped out Lazy Boy chair getting chemo on Monday. It was a very long day........and hopefully the susequent Mondays will not be so long. Mom, Dad and Mark were such troopers....they are so supportive and didn't leave my side all day. :-)

So, my poison of choice is called: Cisplatin.........it is a popular chemotherapy medication and so far, I haven't been sick from it, just tired and lethargic. I am getting to be an expert at napping. Go, Cisplatin, Go...get those dirty cancer cells......... but, please be gentle with the good ones!! One thing about chemo is that it kills good and bad cells so I have to have my blood counts taken every week to see how my plateles, white blood cells and hemoglobin is doing.

Today was my third day of treatment for radiation and so far everything seems to be going well. I think this first week is pretty difficult because I am adjusting to the different treatments and medicine. I had my blood drawn again today because all of that frying to my squatter has made it angry and it was starting to bleed. Hopefully my counts are okay...we will check tomorrow.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone for commenting after reading my entries! Please keep it up....it really brightens my day. Also, I don't even remember if you write the same thing so don't worry about sounding redundant.....it feels new and refreshing to me! :-)

Tomorrow's plan: Morning radiation (fry, fry!), MRI of my pelvis to identify the other lymph nodes in the evening.

Love, Hugs and Good Health!

18 comments:

dana said...

go cisplatin go!!!!
keep up the positive attitude! it is more than half the battle. you are such a trooper and hitting that squatter head on for battle. fry it right out there.
we are thinking of you all the time and sending good vibes your way! thanks for keeping us all posted on how your day is going. wish we could be there too!

love, dana, paul, sy and paley

jf5 said...

Becks!
Thinking of you and wishing you all the best. I like the plan of attack... poison it! fry it! and get it the hell out! Cant wait to see you scoring goals on the soccer field again.

Love,
Uncle Grandpa Tony Frank

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the crsplatin is a tough as you. If so those bad cells better scram. Love you - be good!

The Roa's said...

Kins, despite everything you look so bright and happy in the picture. I wish I could be there with you, but am happy to know exactly where you are now. The week is almost over, you are over the hump. LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

XO thanks for writing Kins.
I hope it helps you as much to write it as it's helping me to read it.
<3

Shan said...

Kindra-

You are truly amazing and hold on to that positive attitude and spirit of yours!!! Thinking of you everyday and knowing that you will kick that squatters ass:-)

Love,

Shannon

Hilary Halme said...

Your bright and smiley face brightened MY day!! That seems against the rules...we're supposed to be cheering YOU up. :) Anyway - keep it up sister, you'll kick and fry that squatter right out of your little bod. Thinking about you constantly!!!
xxooxxoo,
Hil

Unknown said...

Kins,

Thanks for reinstating me, now that you know my secret idenity.

I have no idea how you get so many comments on your blog. Mine has been up for a month and I haven't got any.

You look awesome, and by awesome I mean classy.

Take care, I'll talk to you soon.

Mike "Skip Kennewick" Sternoff

www.abstinencegroup.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Kins, thanks for sharing your journey to well-being with us. I wish I could unleash Conan on the evil squatter because he's fierce! We bought him a Chewy Vuitton toy for his birthday and that thing was torn apart in 15 minutes flat!

The picture really helped me understand what you're experiencing. Now I will have a perfect mental pic of you during treatment as I'm always thinking of you.

I agree that Jac's quote rocked. This path doesn't seem to make sense now, but wherever it leads we'll all be right beside you.

Love,
Jami & Jim

Anonymous said...

You make treatment look hot! Seriously I have never seen someone fight something with so much Chutzpah! You are amazing!
xo

Janis said...

Kindra-

I race into my computer every night when I get home anxiously looking for your progress report. Keep up the positive spirit, you'll have that squatter fried and diced and out of there in no time.

I am Thinking of you so much and hope all your tests go well tomorrow.

Hugs to you, I see you have my hugs (The robe)around you as you receive your chemo. Wish I could be there in person to give you those hugs.

Much love, Janis

Unknown said...

Hi Kindra,

My first graders took a moment yesterday morning to send happy thoughts your way. I wrote your name on the board...and one of my students said--"Hey Mrs. A! I notice a little word inside of the big word Kindra..it is 'kind'...I bet Kindra is a very kind person."
I thought that was such a neat thing to say. We will keep sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Lots of love--Molly (Rigsby)Atanasoff

Erin said...

Hi Kins,

Thank you for the photo. I always love seeing your beautiful, smiling face. And it does help a little to be able to picture you in the process. I hope that cisplatin is as persistent yet kind as you are! I absolutely love the observation of Molly's kindergartener - what an astute little one!

Love you - Erin

Katie Schelp said...

Kindra,

You're fantastic! You inspire me on a regular basis when I read your blogs...if only I could remember to be so positive when I'm sitting on the Eisenhower fighting traffic or trying to put Ben down for the 5th time in a row.

We think about you all the time and know that you're going to kick that squatter's tail!

Love, Katie, Spence and Ben

The Andersons said...

You are such an inspiration Kins! We love you!
Love Owen, Jason, & Cindy

beingoutside said...

Thanks for the updates. You're amazing!

I just read the last post, too. Sorry you had to endure that horrible TV and movie. Personally, I don't like watching movies more than once, but if it gets me out of watching something titled "27 Dresses", then let me offer some obvious and irreverent suggestions. These are films you may want to have in your back pocket. Some obvious, others not so much:
- Red Dawn
- Breaking Away
- Cool Hand Luke
- Spaceballs

No chick flicks here. Actually all three do have a "love story" as I recall. Any ideas which one doesn't?

K said...

Kindra,

You have such a wonderful attitude and you look beautiful even during treatment!
Love you lots and thinking of you always.
xo Kara, Pete & Tigger

Matt said...

Go Girl Go! You're an inspiration.

P.s. Red Dawn is an excellent movie. It was Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey's first movie together. Years before "No one puts Baby in the corner."