So, I am officially ready for radiation!! Fry the squatter! Fry the squatter! Basically, to get ready for chemotherapy, they look at your arm, make sure your veins are strong, show you a video with testimonials about people going through it and show you the pimped out Lazy Boy I get to sit in. But for radiation, what a process!
I arrived at the Creticos Cancer Center, got in my robe like a good girl. Speaking of the robes........why are they all the same? Every hospital has the same color, same style robes....it would be so much more interesting if they changed it up a bit. Don't you think the experience would be more enjoyable if you were like: "wow, I'm in magenta today, maybe I will go with seafoam green tomorrow".
Anyway, back to my preparation. They have you lie on a CAT scan table but in addition to that there are lasers aimed at you from the sides and top of the room. Then, in my case, I had a very uncomfortable insert (it looked just like a penis straw.....actually the glow in the dark kind) into my vagina to see how low the squatter "hangs" into my vagina. Penis straw did not make it that far.....Then, they use the CAT scan to examine me on the inside and the lasers to make "tatoos" on both hips and below my belly button. They use these to cross-section the radiation lasers to deliver it directly on the squatter. Then.....they made a "bean bag" mold of my legs that I will be placed in every day. It was pretty cool. It was like my legs were in one of those vacuum bags to make more space in my closet. :-)
We also registered as members of Gilda's Club Chicago. Gilda's Club is a cancer support network designed to add fun activities, education and support to anyone with cancer and to any family or friends affected by it. We are excited for all of the services and at the cancer center, there is a club there (the only hospital in Chicago to have one). For more info go to: www.gildasclub.org it is pretty fab! How can the creators of Rosanna Danna and Willy Wonka not have a great positive spin on the plague we call cancer.
The highlight of our day was meeting Miles Nathan Gomberg (courtesy of Kari and AJ procreating)....he is beautiful and was an incredible lift to my spirits. He and all of the joys in our life continue to fuel my positivity and hope for my cancer-free future. Love you, Miles!!
Tomorrow: 3-hour PET scan....yippee!
Love, Hugs and Good Health!
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
If Sister-in-law Amy is reading this: she will correct you in saying it is the dildo-cam. she became very familiar with those! I am glad you are so positive and moving the process along with a great outlook. Love ya
I am so proud and impressed by both of you!
Kins and Mark -
So you know I can't be serious for more than 5 minutes, but I have to say, I love the titles, "are those sharks with LASER BEAMS attached to thier heads", Monday Morning Quarterback, and the Mike & Mike in the Morning reference.
Keep the positive thoughts going, we are always thinking about you!
I stand corrected, Amy never had a penis straw in her. This was different. This was a real penis straw, apprently they have more use than just bachelorette party favors!
I am in agreement with Darrin, I enjoy these titles and blogs too... I think its great that they can entertain while still tell us the serious story.
Kindra and Mark,
Thank you for sharing with me. I am praying for you both, and I am here to support in any way I can. Kindra, you are amazing, and your positive attitude is such a powerful tool in this process. You are such a role model.
Molly (Rigsby) Atanasoff
Post a Comment