Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Good News Tuesday!



After a well-deserved 3 day vacation from poison and radiation....I was back on squatter patrol today in full force with Jaclyn at my side.

We were very efficient this morning as we arrived at the cancer center before most people and even the nurses (well, I forgot they have meetings on Tuesday mornings). But, I had my blood drawn (white blood cells, hemoglobin and platelets are still going down slowly but as expected and not with any alarm), received my radiation treatment complete with a new set of films (they take them weekly) and was upstairs ready to see my doctor within an hour....by 9am. I was impressed by us.

Today, I had an exam (speculum style) by my gynecological oncologist and my radiation oncologist observed (along with a medical student who marks the 13th person who has looked in my lady business on this journey). The exam revealed 2 very positive things: 1-that the tumor was not hanging "as low" in the vaginal wall as before (shrivel, squatter, shrivel) and 2-my tumor was looking "crusty". I have never in my life heard the word "crusty" when describing my vaginal area and have felt so happy! This essentially means that radiation and chemotherapy are having an effect on the tumor after only 2 weeks of treatment(fry, squatter, fry) . So, this is superb news!! This does not change my treatment plan for the next 3 weeks but I will be examined again by both doctors on June 17th to determine the hopeful plan for the next stage: brachytherapy.

Following the exam and the positive news, Jac and I headed to the chemo room. I was so hesitant about the start of chemo after the horrible experience with my veins the week before. We began positive thinking, visualization of large, cooperative veins and chanting "super veins, super veins" last night and today to get them ready. Plus, I drank a liter of water overnight and this morning to keep them going. Luckily, our hard work paid off....they got the IV in on the first try in a great vein on the top of my left arm. I was soooooo relieved. On another positive note, I gained 1 pound from last week and actually was hungry for dinner tonight. Woo hoo!

So, Jac and I set up shop for about 6 hours today in our private section watching our chick flicks. We were entertained by Just My Luck and A Cinderella Story....both cute little PG love stories.

I fully realize that these little milestones are only small battles won in my war with cancer but I am re-energized by the positive news today and believe that even small achievements in life are worth celebrating!

Love, Hugs and Good Health!

20 comments:

Marnie said...

I am so proud of you and your crusty self! What progress!! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Kins-that is great news!!! Yeah for wanting to eat, crusty vajayjay and one iv prick. Can't wait for our girls night of satc!
Xoxo
Lindsay

Ilene said...

Great news...doing good kiddo...so proud of you......Sending you lots of love, hugs and kisses too!...
keep up the good work...Mrs. Malka

margaretto said...

Great news Kindra....I know our Marky is so excited also...Keep up the good work and that squatter doesn't have a chance...Love you Both and Love & Thanks to Jaclyn for being there for you Both..Love Mom

Unknown said...

Yeah Kindra!

That was a great day of news. Keep up those positive thoughts; we will keep sending our prayers from MA :)

Molly

dana said...

yeah! so happy to hear you are getting good news! big or small milestone they all need to be celebrated! so happy to hear all is going well. you will get that squatter! keep up the positive thoughts, it truly does work.

wish we were there!

dana, paul, sy and paley

Erin said...

You were a triple threat today! I'm so happy to celebrate these victories with you from afar. I'm actually developing a boogey squatter dance for you right now. Good thing I can close my office door :) big hugs and kisses to you!

beingoutside said...

Score one for the good guys!

Paula said...

I am so happy to hear that all your hard work is doing what it is supposed to do. I know it is a long road ahead but you deserve to celebrate these happy milestones!

Matt said...

Crusty vajayjay-that's why I gave up on women. : )But I WILL NOT give up on you Kins. Keep those positive thoughts, they work wonders!! Can't wait for our girls night on Sunday.

“I admit it's tempting to wish for the perfect boss - the perfect parent - or the perfect outfit. But maybe the best any of us can do is not quit, play the hand we've been dealt, and accessorize what we've got.
-Carrie (Sex & the City)”

rjb said...

Mom and Dad say, Woopee Kyooo (that's what cowboys (& cowgirls) say when they are really happy) and Hooaawa (what army guys say when they are happy)!

Love Mom and Dad

Lou said...

Yeah!!! I am so excited about this news! I loved talking with you today and hearing your positive voice! Hang in there my wonderful freind.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm excited to hear the good news from yesterday. You're strength and positivity continues to amaze me.
With love,
Jami

Marina McLennan said...

Excellent News! Keep up the perseverance and positive attitude. xoxo

Unknown said...

I've actually seen Cinderella Story, haven't got around to Just My Luck, but if Lindsy Lohans acting skills are as good as her driving skills I'm sure I'd love it.

Nice to hear the good news.

Take care,
Michael

Amy Wallace said...

Have Jac run out and get you some Chicago Pizza, I'm sure that would fill you up! Deep dish spinach but make sure she picks it up sometime between 1 and 3 am!!! So happy to hear the good news and keep fighting that bastard! Love you, Aim

K said...

Yea!! What wonderful news :) Love you! Kara

Marisa Stockwood said...

Way to go girl friend!!! You are doing amazing!! I am so happy Jaclyn was there with you representing all your UofA & AZ girls who love you dearly!!! DIE SQUATTER, DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Andersons said...

I love that a crusty hooha and gaining a pound are a good day :) I am thrilled for you - this is terrific news!

susan westcott said...

Hi Kindra and Mark...what a positive and inspiring attitude you have ....it's rough going through all this but you have each other and family and wonderful friends who love you...keep it up...ride the waves together and remember how loved you are....love Susan