
Happy Wednesday, everyone!
So this is what I look like when I am receiving my external radiation treatments. After today, I only have 4 more left! Yippee! Let me explain this contraption....normally my gown is pulled up, the table is raised and the marks (or tattoos...as they call them in the cancer world) that I have on both hips and above my vagina are exposed. Going through this cancer treatment certainly has made me less modest but not THAT modest to expose myself on the Internet. Also, I am not in most flattering gown....there is one there that I try and pick out that is at least half-way decent...even Mom likes it. Two nurses line me up according to my tattoos with lasers (shout out to Laurie, Mary Sue Ellen and Sarah). The funny thing that my legs are in is a mold that was made for me so that my legs do not move during the treatment. It is basically a hard bean bag and they play music for me, which is nice. The treatment lasts about 5 minutes only and sounds a lot like when you have x-rays done at the dentist's office.
Throughout my 25 external radiation treatments, I will be receiving 4,500 centigray (cgy) of external beam radiation delivered through the Linear Accelerator which is the machine behind me and it rotates around my body. It delivers only 180 cgy per day and about 80 cgy is delivered to the target above my vagina, about 80 cgy is delivered underneath me (at the cervix) and about 10 cgy to each of my hip targets. The radiation is targeting my cervix, uterus, the pelvic, the para aortic and para caval lymph nodes. That is not to say there are not innocent bystanders out there, though. Because the radiation is in the entire pelvic area, my colon, intestines and other tissues are affected which bring on unpleasant side effects: diarrhea, alopecia (yes, hair loss...but only in that area), skin peeling, redness and irritation. Now doesn't that sound lovely? The side effects get worse as the treatment progresses but even though they are very unpleasant and annoying, they are so worth it now that I know the treatment is working.
I hope this gives everyone a good idea of what I have been up to for the last 5 weeks on the non-chemo days.
Love, Hugs and Good Health!!
9 comments:
Kins, you are always eloquent, even when describing the side effects of radiation. And you are always beautiful, ugly gown and all. Thanks for being brave and sharing it all with us. Hugs and kisses. Erin
bravo! May the force be with you; and some of that techno stuff you mentioned.
love r-t-r-t
Hi Kindra,
I was SO happy to hear how things are getting smaller!!! All your postive thoughts and strength are paying off :) You have helped to educate all of us on what really happens in treatment too. I hope you got my card, and please know I continue praying and thinking about you! I'll be in Chicago next week for camp and would love to see you!
Lots of love,
Molly :)
HI Kins, Your ability to keep a positive spirit while learning all the medical jargon I'm sure helps you and helps all of us..Rah Rah Rah(I was not referring to your sensitive skin) but only 3 more treatments...Love ya Ken Dad
That big white contraption looks like one of those counter top pizza cooker things. You rock.
No need for a bikini wax - wahoo! Hugs and Kisses!
Hey Kins,
We're so happy the battle is going well. We have been thinking of you all along the way!
:) Barbi and Kyle
Wow what a machine! Thanks for sharing sweetie- you have the best attitude :) xoxo
Kins, I just caught up on the last 3 posts and Oh my GOD...what amazing news!!! I hope you are feeling better and are over your cold. "Dramatically Smaller" those are my two new favorite words!! I love you so much!!! Keep smiling and fighting!!! Love, Mari
Post a Comment