Hi family and friends,
Mark and I returned home from the hospital on Sunday afternoon after 6 days. Thankfully, the free-loader was not what we thought he was. Instead of being an infection, the pain and bloating was caused by excess lymph fluid. During the surgery, they took out 12 lymphnodes so the lymph fluid that the lymphnodes would normally drain has no where to go. The scar tissue from the surgery is also causing drainage problems. I basically have to wait until the lymph fluid can develop new channels through which to drain. Until then, I am pretty bloated but luckily Mark has many comfy pants I can steal to wear.
While in the hospital, I was on antibiotics to treat what they thought was an infection and I had a catheter in my stomach to drain the fluid from the abscess. We spent a lot of time watching the Game Show Network so if you thought Mark and I were good at games before....don't "Press Your Luck".....We were so thankful to have such great visitors and thank everyone who came to either relieve Mark of his caregiver duties or to keep us company. We are happy to be home now and enjoying sleeping in our own bed. It stinks to be released from the hospital after surgery only to return 2 days later.
Today, Mark and I had a follow-up appointment with my gynecological oncologist and radiation oncologist that went very well. While in the hospital last week, Mark and I were given preliminary results from the pathology of my tumor after the surgery. We were told that the surgery went very well and the doctors feel very confident they were able to remove all of the cancer. Our doctors reiterated today the positive pathology report and although we are still not in the clear until I am tested 2 months down the road....this is GREAT news. My radiation oncologist said today that "he couldn't be more pleased with the results" and that he thanked my surgeon for such a successful surgery.
I am still in quite a bit of pain from the surgery and am really swollen from the lymph drainage. While they drained much of the fluid, I'm still left with excess in my abdomen. The plan is to see a specialist and start doing some physical therapy to help with the drainage. We are all hoping this will just be a temporary side effect.
Until then, I am just elevating my feet and now enjoying some time with Jaclyn who came to visit for a couple of days....lots of girly movies and a pedicure ahead.
Love, Hugs and Good Health!!
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
what good news kindra!!!!
happy relaxing/recovering and drainage!
so glad to hear you are home, and what a success the surgery was;-)
what a trooper you have been. take care.
dana, paul, sy and paley
I am so happy you are feeling well enough to give us an update!!! Sounds like you are on the right track and will be recovered in no time. Hang in there and congrats on a successful surgery.
Thinking of you often!!
love,
hil
Great! So glad to hear you're back home "again" and on the mend "again"! You two are truly amazing! We can't wait to bring the kiddies over for a visit when you're back up to speed. Love, Bonnie and the gang
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad you are home sweetie pie! Love you xoxoxo
Yeah! I am so glad that things sound so positive! I can't wait to play games and see what you and Mark have really learned :) Love you!
We are so proud of you Kins and couldn't be happier with the pathology report. WOO HOO!!! The end is in sight and this will all be behind you soon!!! GO JOSHUA tonight:)
Love you and thinking of you always.
One thing after another and still you keep on truckin!!! You are an insperation to me on how much you can take, and all with a smile on your face!! We love you so much and hope/wish for a speedy recovery.
Ian and Tamra
Great news from the docs. Obviously not thrilled to hear you're still in pain, but the big picture sounds pretty good. Amazed by how tough you and Mark have been through it all. True inspiration. Stay tough and smiling. Oh, and BIG MONEY, NO WHAMMY.... STOP!!!
Hi Sweetie - I'm glad you are home and have a friend to keep you company during the day! Good luck with physical therapy - pump those pathways! I love you and hate to think of you in pain. I'm soooo happy that the surgeon gave you good news about the surgery. Erin
The pathology report and news from the docs couldn't be any better. Yeah!!! I'm glad you have so many great friends and visitors to distract you from the pain and help pass the time away until you're back to feeling like you again.
xojami
It's wonderful to hear the good news about your surgery and results. Your body will adapt to the change soon. We are glad you are on the road to recovery.
Love, Marina, Ken & Isabel xo
Great news and your on the road to recover now!
Kindra and Mark..you both have been amazing through all of this...we are so pleased with all the great news and wish you a speedy recovery..this will soon all be behind you...Enjoy you home time...Love Mom & Dad McLennan
Hi Kindra!
It is so great to hear the wonderful news. Your positive thinking has definitely been a huge success in this process. I am so happy the surgery went well and that you and Mark can be at home. In case Mark wants to sit in on one of the movies, Todd and I just watched "21" which was actually pretty good:)
I miss seeing you guys, but will be home again in April and plan to come visit--maybe make a kitchen full of pasta again!
Lots of love to you both, and know that we continue to think of you both and pray for you here in Newburyport!
Love,
Molly
Post a Comment