Saturday, November 15, 2008

Topotecan and Viking Blood!

Hi everyone!

This week, on Tuesday, I had my second installment of Topotecan. The chemo went well but my blood tests revealed that my hemoglobin levels dropped from 9 to 7.6 from last week. So, instead of pushing the chemo back, I received 2 units of blood. My Dad and I like to think of it as Viking blood that only increases my strength. So, On Tuesday, I received 1 pint and had to go back in on Wednesday for the second pint.

Blood pint total: 6 since my surgery.

The first week of chemo seemed to affect me quite minimally in terms of nausea and vomiting...I have yet to be sick. :-) hurray! However, the second week of chemo brought on an additional side effect of this medication.....the wonderful, the talented, the lovely diarrhea. Oh, was that fun. I was basically a slave to the bathroom for 24 hours until a little Imodium AD kicked in. Seriously, aren't all of the narcotics that I am taking supposed to make me constipated???? My body is just not happy with me. By Thursday afternoon this week, I started to feel better although I am still under a lot of pelvic pain and rely on the Fentanyl patch and Vicotin to manage it. I was initially skeptical about taking so much pain medication but seriously......I had to get over that because it was making me miserable......I was panicking and am not helping my body to heal under so much stress.

The pain meds will continue and happy kins will resume.

It was such a pleasure to have my father here this week...he even changed his flight to stay a few extra days. I am so lucky to have such an amazing family. Now, my brother is in town and we are enjoying our time together (actually, right now he is playing Madden 07 with Mark).....Mom comes on Monday night and my third round of chemo is on Tuesday.

Hope this e-mail finds everyone well. I love you all and thank you for your support.

Love, Hugs and Good Health!!

7 comments:

Bonnie S. said...

Hi Kindra,

Thanks for the update. We think of you and Mark all the time. I know people have shared good songs with you-not sure anyone has suggested the "Rocky" theme song. That's what keeps coming to mind when I think of you-the ultimate fighter and survivor. We love and miss you and would love to see you soon if you're up for company. Happy Sunday! Love, Bonnie

Amanda said...

It was so good to see you all on Friday. Call me anytime you need to do more yoga stretches!

We are thinking of you everyday & sending you strength!
Amanda & Darrin

Anonymous said...

You do have a fabulous family and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I hope the pain medication continues to make you more comfortable. You are a brave fighter and I'm sure we would all hope for as much strength as you have if the situation was reversed. Stay strong and happy!
I just noticed, my post has happy and tree in it -- go happy trees!
Love,
Jami & Jim

K said...

Sorry you had additional yucky side effects. Sprinting to the bathroom is never fun :(

I hope you continue to find some comfort in the pain meds and of course with the company of your family.

Thinking of you always!

Love ya xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Kindra,

I hope you continue to feel comfortable and not in pain, so you can enjoy all this wonderful company in town! We miss you a ton, and can't wait to see you soon. Keep those positive thoughts going, and know we continue to send them:)

Molly :)

Marina McLennan said...

Kindra,
You are showing such strength. We think of you all the time and love you so much.
Marina, Ken and Isabel
xoxoxo

Courtney said...

Great seeing you Sunday. The sushi was delicious :) We're thinking of you everyday. Stay strong Kins.

Love
Court