Monday, November 24, 2008

End of First Cycle of Chemo

All,

We have come to the end of the first cycle (4 weeks) of chemo. The treatment went well, for chemo, but she has been dealing with some of the side effects (fatigue and diarrhea). Each week those side effects got a little bit worse as the compounding effects of the chemo increased.
We were happy to have a rotation of Buchanans (Jim, Ian and Susan) here to help as Kindra was going through these last few weeks of treatment and to help me as I had late nights doing parent-teacher conferences. With Thanksgiving break here Kindra has a week off of chemo to recover her strength for the second cycle of chemo.

The week off has proved to be a tough one. Thursday night start of another wash of problems. She started getting some high fevers, rapid pulse and uncontrollable shivering. These fevers continued on and off till Sunday night when it peaked at 105.4 degrees. This is a clear invitation to come and visit the hospital.

We spent most of Sunday night stabilizing the situation with the help and expertise of the wonderful doctors and nurses and IL Masonic. Her fever broke and the did a gambit of tests (X-ray, blood/urine and CT). The results have shown that she has an infection in her bladder and that she has unfortunately developed a blood clot in her femoral artery in her abdomen. Lastly, the CT scans seems to have shown that the cancerous masses have continued to grow unhindered by the last 3 weeks of chemotherapy. In general there is a 6-8 week delay from the effects of chemo, so it isn't all that surprising that there have not been any visible changes to the masses.

We will be in the hospital for the next few days to make sure that the pain is managed, all the meds are working and that she is truly stabilized in her current condition. We will take on this next challenge and will hopefully be back home by the weekend.

Love and Health,
Mark~!

12 comments:

K said...

Hi Mark- Thanks for the update. Kindra is so strong to go through so much. I hope her infection leaves her body and that she can feel some comfort.
I hope you are getting some rest too.

xoxo Kara

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update Mark. Please know that we are all there with you both and are sending all of our love and strength!

Anonymous said...

Kins and Mark I am so glad I got to spend some time with you yesterday. I will stop by tomorrow too. Mark you didn't miss anything with monday night football(pack sucked!) Kins we must talk about spidey getting married!
love you both

Courtney said...

Thanks for the update Mark. Matt and I are in Hilton Head for Thanksgiving but I plan on stopping in on Saturday once we're back in Chi town. Sending love and positive thoughts you way!

Amanda said...

Hopefully you are resting well and the meds are working. We'll be thinking of you both and sending you strength.

Love,
Darrin & Amanda
(He specifically asked that I sign his name first.) :)

Unknown said...

Mark and Kindra,

I am so sorry to hear you have to spend the week in the hospital. It sounds like you have some great family and friends there helping out. I am thankful to have you both in my life, and will continue my prayers for your strength. Kindra I hope you are feeling better and stable enough to come home soon. We love you both!!!
Molly :)

Hilary Halme said...

Thanks for the update Mark...you are BOTH in our prayers and we are sending you love and strength as you continue on this journey.
xxoo,
the halmes

Janis said...

Kindra and Mark-

I am sorry to hear your roller coaster ride hasn't slowed down. I know you have the strength to battle those infectious demons, just doesn't seem fair though. You are a pillar of strength and courage and please know that you are both in my every prayer.

I am sending my hugs and love.

Love you much, Janis

Bonnie S. said...

Hi Kindra and Mark,

You both have so much strength and determination. I hope Kindra's out of the hospital and starting to feel better. As always, you're both in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Bonnie and Jordy

Jennifer said...

Hi Kindra and Mark, Been thinking of you both since my visit last Wednesday. I do hope Kindra is recovering and gaining her strength. We think of you both often. Checking in to see if there is any news.

Love,
Jen and Dave Larson

Unknown said...

Stay classy, hope you guys are doing okay. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Anonymous said...

Love you both so much!